Deputy President William Ruto has come out strongly to defend the government against accusations that it played dirty politics in importing maize from Mexico.
He has also distanced himself from claims that he was involved in the shipping of maize in Kenya saying that is the work of private entities.
The Jubilee administration has been forced to zero rate importation of maize in Kenya to deal with a biting shortage of the commodity used in making maize flour.
During an interview on Citizens news segment which aired shortly after 9PM, Ruto maintained that the government had nothing to do with the controversy.
“It is not fair of you to ask me that question Anne because the government did not import any maize. All we did was subsidize the price and the maize was imported by the millers,” said the DP.
The intention is to bring in 5 million bags and so far, 30,000 bags have been imported and this will see the government spend an upward of KSh 6 billion for the same, Ruto revealed.
Ruto while appearing on a live interview on Citizen TV on Tuesday May 16 denied claims that the government had created an artificial shortage so that private businessmen could benefit.
The National Super Alliance leaders have challenged the Jubilee administration to deal with the crisis.
The opposition team says they read mischief in the manner in which the consignment was procured, further saying that the unga crisis was artificially created for the benefit of a few.