South Africa and the African continent in general is currently disappointed after Durban lost the rights to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
According to South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC), the government didn’t offer the necessary support to win the rights.
“This is a huge disappointment for us and for the whole African continent,” said SASCOC’s President Gideon Sam told Reuters on Monday.
“But without the necessary government guarantees, we couldn’t move on.“Everybody was very excited to see the Commonwealth Games staged in Durban, which was very well equipped to host the event, but once the economics started to play a role, it became difficult.”
David Grevemberg, the chief executive of the Commonwealth Games Federation, released a statement stating the city did not meet the criteria set by his organisation, and that the search for a new host city had already begun.
The city was awarded the Games in September 2015.
It was to be first African city to host the event, which was first held in 1930, but financial constraints has forced them to pull out.
A new host city would be made by the end of the year according to Grevemberg and Liverpool and Birmingham have already showed interests.
“We are disappointed but it does not diminish our commitment to the African continent,” said Grevemberg. “We have had to postpone these ambitions to a later time. We all share disappointment that this ambition needs to be postponed right now.”