The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has officially stripped Kenya of the rights to host the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) after an Executive Committee meeting in Accra, Ghana on Saturday evening.
Addressing the press in Accra on Saturday evening after an afternoon-long meeting, CAF through President Ahmad Ahmad said that the current political situation in the country was not found conducive for the games.
Also, the latest inspection team that concluded its tour of duty in the country last week found most of the venues way from complete and it was argued they would not be ready by the time the three-week championship begins on January 11.
“It was decided to withdraw the hosting rights of the (CHAN) competition from Kenya in the light of accumulated delays from reports of the various inspection missions conducted in the country,” a CAF statement said.
The move comes just days after The cabinet approved a Sh 4.2billion budget for the hosting the games.
Kenya is in the middle of a presidential election re-run after the supreme court nullified the August 8 Presidential elections.
There has been media speculation that Morocco or South Africa could take over the running of the tournament.
A CAF inspection team departed Kenya on September 17 to report that only one of the four venues was ready to stage the tournament for home-based footballers.
Kenya Football Federation president Nick Mwendwa had promised to step down a couple of months ago should they fail to host the tournament but it is unclear whether he will do that.
Caf also announced that Egypt have replaced Zambia as hosts of the 2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations, which doubles as qualification for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.